Expert Repair Shop Inspection and Setup
All new fretted & stringed musical instruments sold by Elderly Instruments are inspected and setup for great playability
by our expert Repair Shop personnel. If there is some problem with the instrument, we either fix the problem or send the instrument back to the supplier.
Our used and vintage fretted & stringed instruments are also expertly set up for maximum playability.
AS-IS EXCEPTIONS: Instruments sold "AS-IS" are not usually set up
(and may have other problems as well). These instruments are clearly labelled "AS-IS" in their descriptions.
Our Expert Inspection and Setup includes:
- We check the truss rod for proper function, the nut slots for
proper height, the saddle for proper string height, and generally insure
that each instrument will play as well as possible over the entire length
of the fingerboard.
- Structural Integrity
- We perform an overall inspection of the instrument, assuring that all joints (braces, bridge, neck, binding, pickguard, etc.) are solid, tight, and secure.
- Neck Angle
- We check the neck to be sure that it is not twisted or excessively bowed and that the neck angle is sufficient to allow for proper string height and saddle height.
- Fret Integrity
- We inspect the frets to insure that they are seated properly, dressed evenly, with the proper polish and crown. Minor fret problems are addressed as required.
- Hardware and Electronics
- All tuners, bridges, pickups, switches, ard other hardware are
checked for proper function. We insure that all volume and tone
controls and pickup selectors, etc., operate properly. Minor
adjustments or repairs are completed when needed.
- New Instruments:
The finish on new instruments is checked for any flaws, scratches, or other defects.
Buffing and cleaning are performed as required, but for less costly instruments,
cosmetic issues are determined by each specific company's production standards,
and minor flaws may still be present. New instruments with more serious cosmetic issues are rejected and
returned to the manufacturer.
Used & Vintage Instruments:
Of course, vintage & used instruments typically have some cosmetic flaws
from past usage. We take great care to describe the condition of the vintage & used instruments we sell.